Working collaboratively to forge pathways for community resilience and energy innovation in Alberta
Expressions of interest are due: March 15, 2020
The Energy Futures Lab (EFL) is seeking expressions of interest from community leaders in Alberta to have the Energy Futures Roadshow come to your community and support you in sparking a collaborative forum for the “radical-middle” while exploring the unique opportunities and challenges of your community’s energy future.
WHY AN ENERGY FUTURES ROADSHOW?
The downturn in Alberta’s economy, combined with regional and global developments in energy and climate, have many community leaders asking how they can respond to and shape these changes to help their communities thrive.
Protecting and building community resilience in a time of accelerating economic and social change and a shifting energy landscape will require the deployment of new models, collaborations, and technologies. Communities, large and small, across Alberta are exploring ways to strengthen and diversify the sources of their shared prosperity. They recognize the need to build capacity – especially for learning, innovation, and entrepreneurship – in order to respond to an evolving energy landscape. How can new opportunities be best identified, harnessed and scaled up within communities? And how can key stakeholders and members of the community be engaged in exploring the opportunities and challenges presented by energy transition?
The EFL is committed to supporting and working with communities to help them better respond to the current and evolving energy landscape, together. The EFL is a diverse network of over 60+ innovators and organizations working collaboratively to take action in response to the question: How can we leverage Alberta’s leadership position in today’s energy system to create the energy system the future requires of us? We are reaching out to community leaders like you to join us in this effort.
WHAT IS THE ENERGY FUTURES ROADSHOW?
The Energy Futures Roadshow is a 2 – 3 workshop series that is designed and delivered in collaboration with each community, and is tailored to the community’s interests and capacities. The engagement will revolve around a series of workshops with participants from businesses, governments, schools, economic developers, community developers and other cohorts.
THE ENERGY FUTURES ROADSHOW WILL INCLUDE:
- playing the Newtonian Shift, a dynamic half-day role-playing simulation that deepens understanding of the factors and forces involved in energy transition;
- exploring the community’s vision, strategy, and goals for development, looking to the shared vision emerging out of the EFL for inspiration;
- identifying the unique and key opportunities and challenges relating to energy transition in the community;
- profiling energy innovations, solutions and entrepreneurs relevant to your community’s challenges and goals;
- facilitating constructive dialogue about energy issues among diverse community members.
The EFL will leverage its people, networks and other resources to best support the community in building its capacity for energy transition. There may be opportunities for ongoing involvement with the EFL, where EFL initiatives align with the interests or project-specific needs of individuals and organizations within the community.
HELP US PUT THE ENERGY FUTURES ROADSHOW ON THE ROAD!
The EFL is grateful for the support of the Alberta Real Estate Foundation to deliver 2-3 Energy Futures Roadshows in 2020. We are seeking Roadshow candidates that can demonstrate the following:
- evidence of commitment from a small group (3 or more) of capable, well-positioned agents or agencies that can effectively partner with the EFL and coordinate key community actors to participate over a 3-6 month time frame (e.g. brief letters of support) (additional benefit will be given to those communities who have a letter of support from local schools to support the participation of youth);
- agreement from one of those agents or agencies to be the key point-of-contact to liaise with the EFL team in lead-up to the Roadshow, including to support participant outreach and parts of event-planning
- evidence of agreement to cover a few hard costs for the successful delivery of the Roadshow e.g. venue rental and participant catering for all workshops
- A list and very short summary of no more than 3 existing and/or emerging local initiatives in energy that are addressing the “radical middle”.
- In no more than 250 words, a description of why the Energy Futures Roadshow is a good fit for your community
- Are there optimum dates/months for a Roadshow in your community in 2020? If so, when?
OTHER DETAILS ABOUT THE EXPRESSION OF INTEREST PROCESS
The Expression of Interest process includes:
- completing an online form
- submitting three letters of support from different community organizations
- conversations with EFL Support Team members, as necessary
Expressions of Interest will be reviewed and evaluated by a committee comprised of EFL Fellows, Steering Committee and Support Team members.
KEY PROCESS DATES:
- March 15: Expressions of Interest due
- April 1: Selection of successful applicants
- April 1: Begin scheduling for Roadshow workshops with successful communities
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions or inquiries.