Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Energy Futures Lab (EFL)?
The EFL has established a platform that convenes diverse voices in the energy system. In our current polarized climate, the Lab has become a trusted bridge-builder, connecting innovators working in different areas of the energy system and taking advantage of their divergent perspectives. For four years, the EFL undertaking has been a deliberate, coordinated effort among leaders and influencers in Alberta to find common ground and create exemplar initiatives, showing the way for Alberta to thrive in the midst of shifts in the global energy system. The EFL is now shifting gears and moving to a new phase, referred to as EFL 2.0.
What is EFL 2.0?
- Continue to support innovators in identifying, developing and pressure-testing solutions for accelerating the transition to the energy system the future requires of us;
- Strengthen the capacity of business and government to adopt and support innovative solutions;
- Inspire and share narratives in the public and communities that help depolarize the public conversation about energy in Canada and accelerate progress toward the shared vision developed through the EFL.
In EFL 2.0, the EFL’s convening question has evolved to: “how can we leverage our leadership position in today’s energy system to create the energy system that the future requires of us?”
What is the role of the EFL Fellowship?
Fellows have the opportunity and responsibility to deepen their understanding of diverse stakeholder perspectives and the energy system, build trust and shared knowledge and work together to refine ideas, and scale the impact of collaborative initiatives that support transition towards a resilient energy system.
Why a Fellowship?
What does it mean to be an EFL Fellow?
Why does the EFL require submission of an organizational letter of support?
In order to support making the case for Fellowship participation to your organization or company, below are a few tips and talking points, which you’ll likely want to customize to your organization’s specific needs, culture, and objectives:
- Fellows support their respective organizations by gaining strategic intelligence and insights about the energy space from peers and system-sensing research;
- Fellows are able to bring both personal and organizational goals to the Lab. Through the Lab, he/she can participate in the EFL as a way to address an organizational challenge or seize an opportunity that he/she cannot do alone;
- Fellows are able to build on existing EFL exemplar initiatives or create their own initiatives that align with the EFL vision as well as support the respective organizational goals; and
- Fellows can expand their personal and organizational network through the Lab and build a strategic and systems-level understanding of the energy field, its players and interrelationships.
Please refer to the question on “What is the benefit in being a Fellow?” as well.
What is the benefit in being a Fellow?
- Develop leading-edge knowledge and skills to collaborate, lead and manage in an increasingly dynamic and complex energy environment;
- Glean strategic intelligence and insights about the energy space from peers and system-sensing research;
- Build a strategic and systems-level understanding of the energy field, its players and interrelationships;
- Be part of an influential and supportive network of dynamic changemakers committed to creating positive impact and tangible outcomes;
- Develop and enhance important relationships in an age of increased expectations for transparency and collaboration.
How much time is involved? What is the full commitment?
- Mar 13 (evening) & Mar 14 8am-5pm – Edmonton (2019 Fellows must also attend the full day orientation on Mar 13 in Edmonton)
- May 22 (evening) & May 23 8am-5pm – location TBD
- Sept 11 (evening) & Sept 12 8am-5pm – near Calgary
- Nov 27 (evening) & Nov 28 8am-5pm – location TBD
EFL Summit Feb 12 (full day) – Calgary
Optional, as relevant
- April 9 (full day) – Red Deer
- June 19 (full day) – location TBD
- Oct 23 (full day) – location TBD